Day +95, Saturday

Photo of the Day: Morning walk in DC with Chana, a friend from elementary & high school. On the return trip from Rock Creek, we stopped to view one of the 145 “Art on Call” boxes scattered throughout various neighborhoods in the District. Originally Police and Fire call boxes installed in the 1860s, a century later these boxes would become obsolete. In the 2000s, Cultural Tourism DC lead a city-wide effort to restore these boxes into neighborhood & artistic icons. I thought they were awesome and reminded me of beloved survey markers. Plus, public art is just cool.

In one week, I’ll be home.

That was my thought Friday night while falling asleep, and again Saturday morning. And now, obviously, as I write this post. It’s been nearly 4 months to the day since I left Asheville, Andy and I making the 7-ish hour drive up the spine of the Appalachian Mountains, on the 81. Technically it was longer, as we stopped in Sperryville, VA, winding our way over the Massanutten and Shenandoah mountain ranges. For my return trip, though, I think we’ll just take the most direct route possible; I’m anxious to be back, hug Andy and kitties, make tea in my own kitchen, walk on familiar trails, and continue building my post-transplant life.

Today I met up with an old friend and it was nice to just walk along the river and chat. Chana and I were first paired up during a 3rd grade project that involved baking a Sachertorte (essentially chocolate cake from Austria). It was a fun project with her Mom, but I remember being extremely disappointed at the taste of bitter chocolate. We were so hopeful that this giant brick of chocolate would taste as good as it looked. We were wrong. There’s a Life Lesson in there, kids, about looks being deceptive, etc. For a few weeks after the Sachertorte incident, I approached chocolate with great skepticism.

After returning home, I read for a bit, watched Designated Survivor, and finally shared with Mom a documentary about the Barkley Marathon. She was appalled while watching people race/trail run/hike/crawl over rugged mountain terrain, bushwhack through thorns, climb up (and down) cliffs with cryptic directions, and generally look miserable for 60 hours. I commented that my hikes didn’t seem so bad after all; she quickly agreed.

My body is doing OK. Yes, I’m tired, but it’s late. I discovered that my skin doesn’t handle cashmere very well, having developed hives on my arms after returning from my walk. Oh well – one day my skin will not be so sensitive. The Tramcimilone cream seemed to help, and swapping with a comfy sweatshirt also made a difference. I’ll re-evaluate in the morning. Other systems? GI is OK mostly, and UTI is just better overall. I really can’t complain.

It is supposed to snow in Bethesda tomorrow, and I’m really excited! Here’s hoping to a few lovely final days in Maryland. Cheers!

  1. That Day +95 at the top of the page looks pretty great! I’m sure this week will go fast as you prepare to depart. Enjoy the snow!


  2. Thank you for sharing your time there with us. In that way we could be with you. Also thank you for your kind comments on Keith’s birthday. When you were born you were a Valentine’s gift to us all and now your new health is another Valentine’s gift for us all. So happy for you that you are going home. Lykke til (good luck in Norwegian).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s